Campton Conservation Commission Meeting Minutes for June 8, 2011; 7:30pm
Members Present: Melissa Greenawalt-Yelle, Jane Kellogg, Jules Doner, Tammy Wooster
Others Present: Prospective new member Lea Stewart
Jess Halm was present briefly to drop off CCC library books and notes pertinent to the meeting. She then left due to childcare issues.
1) May Minutes:
Jane made a motion to accept the May meeting minutes. Melissa seconded the motion and all were in favor.
2) Prospective members:
Before leaving, Jess mentioned that she was still in communication with a resident who has expressed an interest in joining the CC but could not do so until after the school years end. Campton resident Lea Stewart was present for her second business meeting and also attended a recent work session. Lea stated her willingness to join the commission and Jane made a motion to recommend her appointment by the Select Board. Jules seconded the motion, and all were in favor. Jules will contact Ann Marie and ask that Lea Stewart’s appointment be considered at the June 13th Select Board meeting.
3) Land Management:
The PCP poison ivy issue was discussed and the best herbicide application period was determined to be within the next couple of weeks, in two treatments, and preferably early morning when bees are least active. Due to the large area of poison ivy needing treatment, the over the counter pre-mixed Roundup may not be the best option since it is expensive and only sold in small quantities. Jules will ask a local landscape architect about the feasibility of a commercial application, and Melissa will ask Garden Club members what they might recommend. All expressed a continued uneasiness with the herbicide option but agreed it may be the only option as the poison ivy is encroaching into the field and mowing will likely spread and worsen the problem.
The PCP Land Use Policy sign project was discussed and Jules learned that an 11X17 sign with 1” lettering will cost about $65. Green or brown were the color choices with white lettering. Final land use policy wording changes were made and all agreed that one sign posted at the parking area would be sufficient. Jules will follow up with True Colors Printing to determine which orientation would best serve to fit the sign wording.
Jules reported that he mowed the PCP walking path and that one more mowing would be needed in August. The last land management items discussed were BWNA work needs which were identified as parking lot weeding, and Trail guide and log book replenishment.
Melissa passed around one of her photos that she matted and framed as a gift to Nick Sceggell for his groundwater work assistance. The photo was a scene from Smarts Brook depicting a leaf on a rock near a waterfall and all agreed it was the perfect choice. Tammy will contact Nick to arrange for a time to give him the gift, and in the meantime Melissa will choose and distribute a photo card for all to sign.
Melissa brought 300 newly printed Groundwater brochures and CC members proceeded to fold them all. It was decided that we will wait to distribute the brochures until we find an appropriate display method. Lea will go to Staples to research brochure holder options and if needed we will make our own holders.
5) Northern Pass:
Tammy reported the CCC Northern Pass opposition letter was sent to the DOE, state legislators and the Governor’s office. CCC members will continue to engage in this ongoing issue.
6) Work Sessions:
Two work sessions were held since the last business meeting. On May 18th CC members worked on purging old resource library materials and also completed a 2012 warrant article preparation timeline. A list of warrant article related questions was generated which Jess e-mailed to NHACC chair Carol Andrews. On June 1st CC members met with a PCP abutter and discussed a potential boundary line adjustment. This discussion will resume at a June 16th work session where PCP surveyor LeeAnn Nystrom will be present.
The 2011 Budget and expenditures to date were reviewed. CCC Resource Library relocation was also discussed since we no longer have public library space. Jess brought the box of books at the beginning of the meeting and they were left on the desk by the CCC mail box. Tammy will ask Hannah if we can find a permanent Town Office space for these books, preferably in the meeting room to be used for reference.
Finally, Jules extended invitations to his upcoming 80th Birthday party.
Meeting adjourned: 08:45 pm
Next meeting July 13th, 2012; 7:30pm